Here are some tools that may help with passage planning:
- RYA SafeTrx – This is a replacement for the CG66 scheme and has a supporting mobile app for skippers of all types of leisure vessels and small craft. This scheme gives HM Coastguard the information they need to mount a search and rescue operation if you get into difficulty.
- This external link explains the wider system and how to register your yacht.
- The app is free to download and there is no charge to use it although yohttp://RYA SafeTru will need to pay for mobile data. Here is an external link to a RYA howto video for the RYA SafeTRX app.
- How to Use Vector Charts Safely – An article by Tom Cunliffe
- Navionics Web App – Free Navionics nautical charts on your desktop
- VisitMyHarbour – Free on-line raster charts of harbours around the country
- Solent Charts and Tidal Stream Altas
- The Yachtsman’s Guide To Southampton Water and its Approaches
- The 2021 Cherbourg Tide Table – Needed if you want to use the Reeve-Fowkes Tidal Atlas’s on board
- WillyWeather – Tides in Mercury Yacht Harbour. Free for planning ahead more than 7 days.
- UKHO Easytide – Free for up to 7 days ahead
- Looking for an Free Tides app? Here is one to try that is not limited to 7 days ahead but there are many others.